Thursday, September 11, 2014

Windy Cape Range National Park

We were warned by Geoff Blacklock that it could "blow" at Cape Range National Park in September. And blow it did. We had northerlies, nor-westers, sou-westers, sou-easters etc. We understand a giant wind storm ripped through Perth 1000km south of us during the week! We still had a great time, getting a paddle, many snorkels and lots of wildlife into our six night stay.A bunch of Melbourne kids arrived the same day we did so the kids disappeared into the dunes for a few hours every afternoon to make shell houses. The park is famous for the 260km Ningaloo reef that runs along the coast. The snorkelling was great. Tony got a 10km paddle from Turquoise Bay down to the camp site on fathers day which he really enjoyed (he had a 3-4m Tiger(?) shark swim under his kayak. We saw many turtles and rays in the shallows, as well as some very beautiful fish.

We have reached the western extent of our travels, and will turn left tomorrow and head for home via Mt Augustus, Uluru and the West McDonnell ranges. Cheers to all.
A very cool Emu with five (count them!) chicks in the park.

A wrasse on the reef.

Laura being awesome.

Max being awesomer. The outer reef was about 400m offshore. This provides a perfect wave break, and means the water is calm along the beach.

Tony's fathers day cake! 

Laura at (the aptly named) Turquoise Bay. 

One of many camp goannas.

Our last paddle of the trip in Yardie Creek, a coastal gorge. 

The cliffs had many large bird nests (ospreys) and a colony of rock wallabies.


Our home of six nights.

Snorkelling on the reef.



The view south from the dunes beside our camp.

Laura and Max's dune mates; Hannah, Isaac and Asher.

3 comments:

  1. Safe journey. Love you. S&H OX P.S. Love the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where the heck are you guys? It's been months now. How come you left me behind, eh? They treat me like a dog here. I even have to share a single bed with one of the little humanoids. I want my king sized bed back! And did I mention the cats. They have cats. The black one thinks it's the alpha, when clearly I'm number one. I'm sooo looking forward to seeing my family again, and eating real meat again, ah real meet. You do realise you left me with a bunch of vegetarians. Do I look like a vegetarian! Grrr. Please drive safely home, for my sake. Love Pippa. P.S., please bring me fresh croc meat from W.A. P.P.S I even miss Max.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vegetarians!?! Who knew? Whoops, we had no idea! We laughed our heads off at your terrific reply!

    ReplyDelete